2007/08/22

Need Poetry Rhyme?

I composed this poem on a rainy evening.
My friends said: "This is not poetry at all!"
Dad, too, was not the least convinced:
"Bad piece of work, my son. Improve."
And mother was particularly scathing:
"Bland and pointless. Drop it in the bin."
There was no hope in profs' words either:
"Care to hear my say? This is pure stool."
"But why?" I cried, "How's this not poetry?"
"That is quite evident", they all answered,
"A poem has a rhyme scheme, young man.
ABAB, AABB, ABBA, ABABB -- you name it.
Show us the rhymers in your - er - poem."
"So that was yer charge, eh?" said an irate I.
"Then 'tisn't my fault, sirs and ma'ams, that
When a poem stares you in the face, ye
Can't tell it is one. Bad 'nough ye didn't
Grant my piece its poetry status. Worse --
All ye pundits found it self-satisfying to
Call it a worthless frill and brand me a fake.
Worst -- ye all failed to notice that the
First words in each pair of lines rhyme!"

12 comments:

Poornima said...

[Broooooooooooooooooooooad Smile] Amazing!! Typical Nirmal type :) A twist in the tail ;) Wonderful!! :) I was initially surprised there was no meter.. But that would have spoilt it!! Great... Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

nice one.
rhyme and meter make poetry a pleasure to read. but otherwise also, same content as a poem is easy to read than as a prose. for some reason they give a different feel. i could never figure out why.
guess poetry gives us freedom to talk whatever one wants to.

Anonymous said...

Po,
Thank you. But who writes with meter these days? Just because I wrote one or two that way does not mean I must adhere to it.
Pr,
When you break prose into short lines and make it a poem, it goes well with the eye, hence that 'different feel'. And I don't get the rationale behind your last statement. Why can't prose give that freedom? Are newspaper/magazine columns (where people say whatever they want to) written in poetic form?

Anonymous said...

While a line with no essential meaning in a poem can actually beautify a poem, It will be a disaster for prose. That is the freedom. Personally, I feel, it's tougher to write prose for a readership.

Anonymous said...

Touché

And yes, I quite agree with the last statement. Naturally.

Anonymous said...

good one. improvision; keep it up.

unni krishnan said...

Ok, to Preets' last comment...that a line that makes no sense beautifies the poem...I don't think so. I think, there must be a reason for every line in the poem...I must quote Coleridge on this one again...he is talking about his english teacher here:
"I learnt from him, that Poetry, even that of the loftiest, and, seemingly, that of the wildest odes, had a logic of its own, as severe as that of science; and more difficult, because more subtle, more complex, and dependent on more, and more fugitive causes...."

Anonymous said...

great idea!

Vidya said...

Pro! Really amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is the most creative piece in your blog :-)

The words bring pictures to the mind and the last few lines set a fantastic tone for the twist in the tail.

Superb!

Karthik Purushothaman said...

Hi anna. First time I comment on your blog. And I do it for this piece because I felt this was the best of all. Really, REALLY (I am not able to be more emphatic!) the last line was a real hit on my face. You're good at climaxes eh?! :)

Kali said...

up, Nirmal! it Keep
work! of piece enjoyable and different Very

:-)