2008/07/06

Parthian Shot

'Yes, goodbye!' I retorted in T9. 'I too
Am ecstatic that we wont have to SMS
Each other ever again'. I viewed my
Message in the Sent Items by
Force of habit and switched off the
Instrument. Sat back and cursed her
Profusely. 'Don't cry for her, don't', I
Told myself and put my face out the
Window of the bus. 'Oh damn', I said
Aloud a moment later. Switched
My mobile phone on again, typed up a
Message furiously and sent it and
Deleted her number from the contacts
List. Without informing me my
Fingers took me to the Sent Items
Folder. Before I could look away my
Eyes read the final message: '*won't'.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely twist at the end, didn't expect that to happen! Wont is a common term in SMS language! :D

Awesome awesome!

Was there any reply from the other side??

Marlin Jar said...

Thank you :-)
It's a fictional situation, mach!

unni krishnan said...

Perfect Title!

Leva Hatter said...

Dei, I don't get it.
:)
K, whatever...

pratyu said...

LOL, Sound's like a thing Nirmal would do alright! Yet, the twist was unexpected. Enjoyed it!

Parthian shot is I gather a "parting" shot. Or is there anything more to it, that I'm missing?

Anonymous said...

Awesome :-)

Is it really a fictional situation, I wonder? I share your force of habit, by the way. I'd dearly like to know who or what inspired this.

Mohan K.V said...

Ah, nice poem, Pico Iyer would have been proud :-)

Strong title!

But what is behind the organization of the lines? The A and E in the SMS are particularly jarring.

An re. force of habit, many a solitary, boring train ride has been livened up browsing SMS archives from the days of yore :-)

Marlin Jar said...

Pratyu,
Thank you! I titled it so not just because it was a parting shot... A Parthian shot is actually an arrow shot while you are going out of the scene (of battle). This picture summarizes it beautifully -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:OttomanHorseArcher.jpg
Hence the final msg, "Won't" is a final shot just after the tiff.

Ramanathan,
Meet me after the class.

Mohan Bagan,
The name 'Pico Iyer' irresistibly takes to me to the word 'nanowire'.
Thanks, and there's no particular rationale behind the line-organization. I was just trying to keep the visual length of all lines more or less consistent.
I'm a victim of that narcissistic habit too! Except that I do it in buses.

Ramanathan again,
Somehow that sounded better than 'We must discuss this in person' although the teacher-student context was absent ;)